Happy New Year, y’all! I know it sounds cliché… but I can’t believe we’re already in 2018. What a year it has been! I moved to the Montreal south shore for an 8-month internship, I studied abroad in England and traveled around the UK, I saw a Cirque du Soleil show in Trois-Rivières, I attended a summer wedding, I dyed my hair, I made new friends, I boarded a plane for the first time in my life, I made the Dean’s list for the second time in my college years… and I’m probably forgetting some things.
It has honestly been such an eventful year in all aspects of my life. I discovered more about myself than I ever thought I would, and I think I have a better understanding of who I am as a person and I’m starting to accept it. I’ve fought with myself for years because I wasn’t satisfied with who I was and the way I looked, but that’s a story for another post. 😉
But 2018 will be just as eventful, if not even more. I have so many things in stores, including on the blog, so I thought I would give you a little heads up as to what is coming up for me and for A Wanderer’s Adventures in 2018. But before we head into that, it’s time to revisit my 2017 goals!
Get over 1,500 pageviews in one day: Reached in Q1.
- Get 400 likes on my Facebook page: Facebook is probably the place where I’m seeing the slowest growth. I have to admit that I just don’t know what I’m doing and I’m not sure what type of content I should be posting on there. So I have kind of given up on it. So far, the only thing I do is advertise new posts when they go live.
- Reach 1,000 followers on Instagram: I am SO close to reaching my goal! But alas, that didn’t happen in 2017. I’m pretty confident that it will happen soon though – I have finally figured out a theme that I like (for now) and have been working hard to improve my photography game. I think the part I’m struggling with the most is posting consistently and actively engage with other users. That’s something I’ll be trying to work on in 2018!
- Get 8,000 Pinterest followers: Pinterest and I have been in a love/hate relationship recently. It has changed its algorithm this year, and since then, my growth has been crazy slow. I was using BoardBooster to help me stay active on the platform but in the past few months, it hasn’t done much for me, so I deleted my account. I signed up for Tailwind since it seems to be the new hot thing, but so far, I’m not sure whether or not it’s helping me with my Pinterest game. I guess I’ll have to wait and see…
- Get 2,000 Twitter followers: Reading this goal makes me laugh now because there was no way that I would be able to reach it by the end of the year. I’m pretty proud of my Twitter game this year though. I was finally able to bypass the 1,000 thresh hold, and I’m now living my best life (haha, just kidding). I feel like I know what I’m doing with Twitter, and I’m pretty confident that I can continue to grow it steadily. Twitter is a place for me to vent and to share my every thought, so if you’re into that, make sure to follow me! #shamelessplug
- Land my first sponsored post: I really hoped this year would finally be the year I monetize my blog, but I guess it wasn’t. However, while I may not have been able to make money off my blog, I also got some pretty awesome opportunities because of my blog, so not all is lost.
- Grow my email list to 400 subscribers: So SO close to hitting this goal! I’ve made tremendous progress with my email list this year, so I’m not disappointed! Sign up here if you aren’t already, by the way. 😉
- Read 60 books: I think this year is the first time that I haven’t reached my reading goal in 3 years. I honestly don’t know what happened. I was off to a great start at the beginning of the year, but at some point, I just got way behind and I thought I’d be able to catch up. Spoiler alert: I couldn’t. I think the fact that I was abroad for 3 months really factored in because that’s when I started slightly deriving. I read only one book while I was abroad. ONE. I got really sucked into Netflix and I just didn’t want to read anymore. I honestly don’t know what happened. When I got back home two weeks ago, I tried my best to catch up, but at this point, I was 14 books behind, so I had to face the facts: I wouldn’t be able to reach my reading goal this year. I still ended up reading 48 books though, so it’s not all that bad.
- Lose 5 pounds: I’m not even going to comment on this one. Let’s just say that I really have to get in shape in 2018 because this is enough.
Travel out of the country at least once:Reached in Q3.
What’s coming up for me in 2018?
This year will be pretty eventful and quite different from the previous one.
I’m kicking off the new year with a four-month internship! I will be the marketing intern for Patience Fruit & Co, a fruit company, starting on January 8. I’ll be interning full-time there until the end of April, so that’s pretty exciting! I’ll be once again living on the south shore of Montreal, so I’ll be living on my own for a little while.
As you may know, I scored tickets to see Demi Lovato in concert in March! She’s coming to Montreal while on her new tour and I am very excited. I was able to get tickets right next to the stage, so I’ll be living the dream! The concert is on a Saturday, so I might spend that day in Montreal with my BFF and my cousin, who are both coming to see the show with me.
Once my internship ends, I will be returning home for one last semester before my graduation. Sadly, that last semester will take place during the summer, so between May and July, I will be stuck in a lecture hall while everyone else is enjoying their summer. Thankfully, it’s my last semester… EVER. So it should be the last time that I suffering through this, haha.
As I just said, I will be graduating this summer. I am SO excited for university to be over, but I am also completely terrified, haha. I do not have any plans post-graduation yet, but I am hoping to get a job shortly after I graduate. Hopefully that won’t take too long…
However, I am thinking of celebrating my graduation in a pretty big way… I might or might not be planning a trip to celebrate the fact that I am out of university. I haven’t decided when or where yet, but so far I’m thinking either a trip to Europe (where I can explore different countries/cities), or a road trip to the US, as it’s closer to home. I’ll make sure to keep you guys updated once I’ve made up my mind!
What about AWA?
If you didn’t know or if you’re new here, I asked for your insight on the blog in the form of a survey a few weeks ago. I was also giving away a $100 Sephora gift card to one lucky winner who answered the survey (the winner has been contacted – thank you to everyone who left me their thoughts and comments! It has been really helpful.).
Looking back on your answers, I realized a thing or two, some of them I already knew, but you also took me by surprise.
As you now know, I will be graduating from college in a few months. And as much as I know that you guys LOVE my college content, I just don’t think I have the heart to write more posts about it. I am moving on with my life, and so is my blog. So I have been thinking about what my possible new focus might be – and I think I have found it. You can read more about it on my “About” page, but to give you an idea, I will now be focusing on travel, books, and lifestyle content. I am not saying that I will never be posting anything college-related ever again, but it will no longer be the main focus on my blog. I want this space to be a place where you can find inspiration – whether it is through travel, books or real talks.
As I am heading into the “real” world, I will obviously be taking you with me. Which means that I’ll be posting more career and internship advice and real talks – and it’s a good thing because that’s the type of content you have said to want to see more of! I want to keep it real and inspire you to go after your dreams, whether that is a job, an internship, travel or blogging.
One thing that did strike me while reading your answers to the survey is that you’d like to see more of me. I realized that while I’m trying to be more open about who I am and what is going on in my life (with the life lately posts for instance), this blog still feels a little bit impersonal. So one thing that I strive to do with this blog in 2018 is putting myself out there more. I will try to keep it real and post more of my own pictures, which means that you might see more of my face in the near future. 😉
One place where I have tried to keep this balance of personal vs non-personal posts is Instagram. I’ve been trying to post more pictures of me and to show my face and behind the scenes of my life in my stories, and people have been responding well to this. Instagram also happens to be the social media platform you love to engage with me on the best, so I would really like to grow it even more in 2018. I love to engage and interact with my followers (and new people too!), so make sure to give me a follow if you haven’t already! 😉
There is one project that I have in stores and that I hope to pursue in 2018 and that is starting my own YouTube channel. I have been really into YouTube lately and I have been tempted to start posting videos for a little while now. I don’t want to get into too much details yet, but let’s just say that it might be happening very soon! The only thing I can say for now is that it won’t cover the same topics as my blog. I’d like for it to be an extension of what I am currently doing, and I would cover topics that I don’t here… including vlogs. 🙂 I can’t wait to share more details with you!
I cannot wait for this new year and I hope you will follow me on this wonderful journey! Thank you for sticking around!