If there’s one thing that I hoped for this year is that I would finally bring my blog to the next level, and that starts with reaching my goals for 2017. I’ve never been really good at keeping up with goals, mostly because I totally forget that I had set them in the first place (oops). This year, I want things to be different. This is why I thought that, after each quarter, I would do a little quarterly goal update. This idea helps me remain proactive and ensures that I actually set a strategy towards reaching my goals.
If you haven’t read the last quarterly update, make sure to check it out here as well! So here’s how I’ve done with my goals for 2017 in the second quarter (April to June).
- Lower my bounce rate to 75%: So far my bounce rate has been pretty stable. I’ve been able to lower it to about 84%, but it’s still too high. I’m not exactly sure what I can do to lower it… and I’m not even sure if it matters. I read somewhere that the average blogger’s bounce rate was between 70-90%. So I think I’m good with my 80-ish bounce rate.
Get over 1,500 pageviews in one day: Reached in Q1.
- Get 1,000 likes on my Facebook page: After giving it much thought, I think I might have been overly confident when I said that I wanted to get 1,000 likes on my page. I currently have 228 likes on my page, which is good, but I don’t think I’ll get to my goal at this rate unless I start to pay for sponsored posts and publicity on Facebook. I think it would be more reasonable to aim for 500 likes. I also haven’t really been active on my page lately, mostly because I’m not sure what type of content I should be posting there. Any ideas?
- Reach 2,000 followers on Instagram: Not to brag or anything, but I’ve been killing it when it comes to Instagram lately! I think I finally figured out an aesthetic that I like, and I’ve started taking better pictures and putting more effort into my account. However, I haven’t really been seeing the growth that I thought would come with figuring out my theme. I’m trying to incorporate more Instagram stories to my strategy because I’ve read that it helps build a following, but nothing seems to have really been working for me. I’ve been stuck at around 660 followers for what seems like forever and I’m not sure what to do next. I think I should probably focus on posting more often and being more consistent.
- Get 10,000 Pinterest followers: I’m honestly not too worried about Pinterest because it basically takes care of itself, thanks to BoardBooster. I’m growing a following without having to do anything! This is probably the only platform where I’m pretty much sure I’m going to reach my goal by the end of the year.
- Get 5,000 Twitter followers: This is going to be WAY harder than I thought it would be! I’ve always thought Twitter was easy to grow, but it’s actually quite the opposite! It’s hard to retain followers and to get an engaged audience. I am definitely not going to be able to reach my goal if it continues at this rate! I think aiming for 2,000 followers might actually be more realistic. Once again, I think the secret here is being more consistent. I don’t tweet that much, which could explain the very slow growth I’ve seen on this platform.
- Land my first sponsored post: I still haven’t taken steps to try to land my first sponsored post, nor have I been approached by any companies. However, I still hope to monetize my blog before the end of the year. Who knows, maybe in Q3?
- Read 60 books: I’ve read 25 books so far this year and I’m currently 3 books behind schedule according to Goodreads. I don’t know why, but I haven’t been feeling like reading much this year so far. Thankfully, lately, that has changed! I don’t know why, but I always seem to get more reading done during the summer, which is what has been happening lately. Hopefully I’ll get back on track soon enough!
- Become fluent in Spanish: Well, so far I haven’t done anything towards that goal. I don’t think this is a priority this year, especially since I’ll be traveling to England for my semester abroad and not in Spain.
- Start working out: Let’s just laugh because all I’ve done so far is eat and gain weight.
- Travel out of the country at least once: It hasn’t happened yet but, as I mentioned in this post, I’m going to be studying abroad in the UK this fall. I’m so excited for this great opportunity! And I think it’s fair to say that I’m going to make sure to get the best out of it and try to travel to other cities in Europe as well. 😉
I definitely hope my goal update will be more positive in Q3! I feel like I haven’t really taken my goals seriously so far, which could explain why it’s taking me forever to reach them. I hope that I’ll be able to cross off at least 2 goals in my next update! I’m working extra hard on Instagram, so hopefully there’ll be some good news on that end. With my internship coming to an end in a couple of weeks, I’m hoping I’ll have more time to dedicate to the blog and my social media channels, which means I’m going to try to reach some goals. Let’s hope for the best!
What are your goals for the upcoming months?