Another year comes to an end, and another one is beginning. 2016 was honestly one of the best years I’ve had so far. It had its ups and downs (such as having a summer semester), but overall it’s been really good to me. I’ve moved my blog to self-hosted, rebranded, and have grown all of my social media platforms. I have landed an internship that I’m really excited about, received the mention of honor for my amazing grades, and have taken some decisions that will make 2017 my best year ever.
I’m really excited for the new year. I have amazing projects in the works that I cannot wait to share with you guys. It’s also going to be a defining and life-changing year for me, I can already tell. I will have to face quite a few challenges, but I think I’m ready for it.
Every year, I like to write down my goals for the year ahead. And note how I said goals, not resolutions. Resolutions are intentions. Goals are “the result or achievement toward which effort is directed”. Notice the difference? Setting goals allows you to be in the achieving mindset from the get-go. You know exactly what you want and where you want to be, so you can start taking the steps towards reaching them from the very beginning. And you won’t feel like quitting after a few weeks. #justsaying
FALL SEMESTER GOALS REVIEW
But before we even head into my goals for 2017, I thought it would be a great idea to go back on my goals for my fall semester.
- Get A’s in all of my classes: I got that one B+ again…
Find an internship that I love.Done! Well, I cannot confirm that I love it because it has started yet, but I’m really excited for it! Make one new friend.Done! I had started making friends in my summer semester, but I still didn’t feel like we were true friends. They felt more like colleagues to me. Now, I can 100% say that we are friends!
- Start working out. Nope, haha.
- Build up my wardrobe. Not really…
- Take time for myself every day. Some weeks it happened, some others it didn’t.
Start using snapchatDone in December. I decided to do “Snapmas” aka my own version of Vlogmas, so for 25 days straight (or almost…) I snapped at least once a day. I’m still not the best snapchatter, but I’m getting the hang of it! Make sure to add me! (awandererssnaps) Increase my pageviews.Done! Honestly, I don’t know what happened, but the past few months have been CRAZY when it comes to pageviews. I have now overpassed my 2016 goal of getting at least 10,000 pageviews every month, so I’d say it’s going pretty well! Finish Pinfinite Growth.Done! Honestly, this is one of the best investments I’ve ever made for my blog. In the span of four months, I’ve grown my Pinterest following from 182 to over 2,000 followers!
Now let’s get to the real stuff! I decided to divide my goals into two categories: personal and blogging. Since I won’t be going to college until September, I decided to just skip it altogether. (I’ll probably end up writing a blog post about my goals for that semester anyway).
- Lower my bounce rate to 75%: Ever since I’ve installed Google Analytics to my blog, I like to go check it every once in a while. One of things that I’ve noticed is that I have a very high bounce rate, meaning that I cannot seem to retain my readers to my site. They read one post and then they’re gone. My current bounce rate is almost at 90%, which I find to be alarming. I’m definitely going to try to change that this year and lower it!
- Get over 1,500 pageviews in one day: At first I was going to write 1,000, but then I reached it in December (I hit the 1,000 landmark twice in December, which is a record for me), so I decided to bump it up a bit. I normally get between 300-500 pageviews per day, but I know what with a little bit of work, I can reach that goal!
- Get 1,000 likes on my Facebook page: I finally started a Facebook page for my blog this fall and it already has over 100 likes! It’s a great way for my friends and family to stay updated about the blog, because most of them don’t use other social media platforms.
- Reach 2,000 followers on Instagram: I’ve recently purchased Helene in Between‘s Instagram for Success course and have already finished it. I learned a ton of helpful tips to help me grow my Instagram and have started implementing them. I’ve already started to see some growth! Instagram is probably my favorite social media and I hope to grow it in 2017. I think 2,000 is pretty reasonable, considering that I’m still in the hundred count.
- Get 10,000 Pinterest followers: Ever since I’ve bought and completed Melyssa Griffin’s Pinfinite Growth course, I’ve seen some master growth on Pinterest! I gain hundreds of followers every month now, so I think the number I’m fixing here is reasonable. Pinterest is my #1 referrer when it comes to traffic, so I’m hoping to keep growing it in the upcoming year!
- Get 5,000 Twitter followers: Twitter is easily the platform I’m most familiar with. If you didn’t know, I used to have a fangirl account on Twitter, where I mostly fangirled (duh) about TV shows and celebrities. I had over 2,000 followers! But it started to take over my life and I deleted it. So this year I want to dedicate more time to Twitter!
- Land my first sponsored post: I’ve been thinking about monetizing my blog for a while now, but I think now I’m finally ready. I’ve worked hard to create stellar content and to grow my blog in the past year and I think I’m finally ready to take it up a notch!
- Read 60 books: Every year, the number of books I want to read lowers. In 2015, it was 100 (which I reached!). Then, I set a goal of 75 for 2016 because I knew my life would be busy because of university. I reached it, but barely! And while I’m not going back to university until September, I decided to reduce the amount of books I want to read this year too. I know I’m probably going to be busy with my internship and other things, so I probably won’t have time to read as much. You can follow me on Goodreads to find out how I’m doing with my reading challenge and what I’m reading!
- Become fluent in Spanish: As you might know, I used to be a language student in CEGEP, and Spanish was one of the languages that we were taught. Before that, I had studied Spanish for 3 years in high school. And yet, after 5 years, I’m still not fluent. As I’m going to have a lot more time on my hands this year, I thought I would finally try to become fluent in that language. I want to start watching movies and TV shows in Spanish, and I plan on reading a few books in the language as well.
- Start working out: I set that goal basically every time I can, and yet, I’m still not able to get myself to do it. It’s like I have no motivation whatsoever and I can’t seem to get out of that vicious circle I find myself in.
- Travel out of the country at least once: The reason why I created this blog was because I wanted to share my travels and adventures with people. But I haven’t gotten a Quebec once since I’ve created it! (Ironic, I know)
What are your goals for 2017?