After asking you on Twitter what you wanted to see next, you guys voted for another life update, so here we are! October has been quite the busy month for me on all fronts. So let’s dive into it!
So if you follow me on Insta, you know that I’m quite the busy bee. I’m gone basically every weekend exploring everything the UK has to offer.
We kicked off the month with a trip to Dover and Canterbury. We started off with the Dover Castle, a castle from the Middle Ages. The architecture was impressive, but I felt like they tried too much to make it interesting. They had clearly repainted and rebuilt some of the decors inside so it looked “original”. But still, it was nice to see. The highlight of my trip though was definitely seeing the White Cliffs of Dover. Yes, it’s quite the hike, but the view is so worth it! It’s absolutely stunning.
We then spent the night at our very first Airbnb. The host was really nice, but the place itself wasn’t all that great. It was very cold and humid, there was cat food everywhere and our bathroom didn’t even have hot water.
The next day, we headed off to Canterbury! I have to admit that I didn’t have any expectations for this city, but I was pleasantly surprised. The cathedral of Canterbury is absolutely gorgeous. It’s so big! We also went to Saint Augustine Abbey, and it was a really nice experience. It’s all basically ruins, but knowing the history behind it all was very interesting. My favorite part about Canterbury though was just strolling through the streets! Everything is so cute and typically English, I just loved it!
The next weekend, we went to St Ives in Cornwall. It was the furthest we had been so far (almost 7 hours of train from our university!), but it was so worth it! As soon as I saw the beach and the clear blue water, I knew we had made the right choice by coming. We also stayed at the cutest Airbnb! It was a hike going there, but a little cardio never killed anyone. 😉 St Ives is one of my favorite cities we went to. We didn’t do much there aside from shopping and walking around, but I just loved the atmosphere! I can only imagine how amazing it must be in the summer!
Next, we went to the National Lake District. We had heard such raving reviews about it and decided to test it out for ourselves. We started our journey at Treetop Trek, where I had the scare of my life (but I was also so damn proud of myself for doing it!). On the second day, we wanted to go hiking, but the weather wasn’t our side. We wanted to take a ferry to take us on the other side of the lake, but with the storm coming our way, the ferry wasn’t sure it could bring us back. We didn’t want to risk getting stuck on the other side so we stayed in town and went to get tea like the British that we are. 😉 Overall, Bowness-on-Windermere was kind of a disappointment. Everyone told us that it was an amazing place, but I just didn’t really appreciate it. It was raining the whole weekend, so it might be why I didn’t enjoy it as much as I hoped I would.
Finally, last weekend we visited Bath and OMG I fell in love with the city. I actually plan on writing a complete travel guide on Bath, so stay tuned!
By the way, if you would like me to write a more in-depth post on any of those cities, please let me know!
Also, while we’re talking about travel, I finally booked my flight back home! So, long story short, I had initially booked my flight back home for January 13, as exams at the University of Hertfordshire finish on January 12. But it turns out that none of my classes have exams and they all end before Christmas. I didn’t really see the point in staying abroad all by myself for a month so I tried changing my flight to an earlier date. For some inexplicable reason, I was unable to reach Air Canada from the UK and had to have my dad call them to sort out the whole ticket situation. Thankfully, it sorted itself out pretty quickly and now I can officially say that I’m flying back home on December 18, 2017!
This section contains affiliate links, which means that should you buy through me, I’ll get a small commission. This doesn’t cost you anything and you definitely do not have to buy through me, but if you do, thanks for supporting A Wanderer’s Adventures!
Once again, I didn’t get to read much since my last life update (have you seen how much I’ve traveled though?!). I’m six books behind on my Goodreads challenge – what a mess. However, I’ve been in more of a reading mood lately, so maybe that’ll change. Anyways, here’s what I’ve read:
- Caraval by Stephanie Garber: 5/5 stars – read my review here
- My Lady Jane by Cinthia Hand, Jodi Meadows & Brodi Ashton: 5/5 stars
- Destroy Me by Tahereh Mafi: 5/5 stars – read my review here
I also bought Turtles All the Way Down in St Ives and a Jane Austen anthology, which contains the 7 novels she has written, in Bath, so I don’t think I’ll be running out of reading material any time soon. 😉
Obviously, I’ve been making the best out of my Netflix subscription. I even wrote a whole post about it recently!
- I finished The Big Bang Theory (or at least, the 10 seasons that were available on Netflix). This show is SO GOOD y’all! If you haven’t watched it, you definitely should.
- I’m currently watching the masterpiece that is season 3 of Teen Wolf. I’m trying to spread it out because it’s my favorite season and I want to savor it, but Netflix has released the sixth and final season today, so I have to continue my bingeing session if I want to finish the show before I leave.
- I don’t know why, but I wanted to continue watching That 70s Show. I had started watching it last spring and didn’t really like it so I stopped. But now I’m back at it and I LOVE it! It’s just so funny. I guess I was missing having a sitcom to watch in my life? I’ve already finished the first season.
I’ve been so on top of my game when it comes to blogging lately! I may not have posted all that much throughout the month (because I travel a lot), but I’m working on some pretty amazing things for the remaining of the year and I cannot wait for you guys to see! Here are a few highlights of the last month when it comes to blogging:
- I have finally reached 800 followers on Instagram! I was stuck at 700 for what felt like the longest time, but somehow in October I busted that number! I don’t think it’s because I’m posting more often (mostly travel snaps) or because I’m more active in both my Insta story and in general, but I’m growing my following. I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to reach my goal of 1,000 by the end of the year. Follow me here if you aren’t already!
- I’m still steadily growing my email list. I’m almost at 300 subscribers! I haven’t been able to create new content upgrades since I created the resource library, but I’m hoping to add at least two more by the end of the year. If there’s anything specific you’d like to see, let me know! By the way, sign up here if you want to be part of the fun!
What’s coming next
So November is going to be a pretty eventful month. It’s the last full one that I’ll spend in England, but it’s also the one where I’ll be working the hardest. I have a lot of things coming both on the blog in my personal life, so I just hope I’ll make it out alive, haha. Here’s what you can expect:
- My birthday is coming up! I’ll be turning 22 on November 9th, so there’s that to look forward to. I don’t have anything planned (actually I’ll be in class from 9 am to 8 pm that day), but I might be going out with some friends for dinner and drinks, so that should be fun.
- Travel-wise, it should be calmer. My friend and travel buddy will be gone most of the month because her family and her boyfriend are coming to visit, so we won’t be going anywhere together as we won’t have much time together. However, I plan to use that time on my own to visit London. We are 20 minutes away from London and I’ve only been once so far (though we have been to London’s trains stations many many times). I really want to take the time to explore that city more! I already have a list of things I’d like to do, but if you have any recommendations, feel free to let me know!
- However, I will be spending the weekend in Liverpool in Manchester this weekend! I’m not that much of a Beatles fan, but I’m still very excited.
- I’ve booked my ticket for the Warner Bros studios tour! I’ll be visiting the Harry Potter set on November 27. I’m SO excited, you have no idea! It’ll be all decorated for Christmas for the very first time, and I’m legit screaming just thinking about it. You can bet that I will be taking lots of pictures, so make sure to follow me on Instagram! (I will also probably write a blog post about it as well, so stay tuned for that!)
- Blogging-wise, I have some amazing news! I pitched a brand for a collaboration a week ago and they said yes!!! You have no idea how excited I am (and I’m so proud of myself!). You should be seeing the post mid-November, so stay tuned! I also have many great ideas for the blog for the holiday season, so that’s exciting.
- As I mentioned, I’m going to be working super hard this month. I have a lot of assignments to work on (some are group projects, but most of them aren’t), so it’s a good thing that I won’t be traveling as much. I guess I’m going to have to optimize my time to be as productive as possible if I want to be able to meet all of my deadlines!
After over 1,700 words (say what?!), you’re now all caught up on what is going on in my life lately! What is going on in yours?