I have to admit that I was afraid of hitting publish on this post. Why? Because while I enjoy chit chat posts (they’re actually my faves!) and they seem to have turned into a thing in the college blogging world lately, I feel like they are sort of filler posts. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s awesome that some bloggers are turning it into weekly series, but in my case, I just seem to resort to those posts whenever I don’t have anything to write about, which has been the case lately. My life just isn’t that interesting!
But, I also realized that it had been nearly a month since I had last written a life update (my study abroad one doesn’t count), so I thought it wouldn’t hurt to update you guys on what has been going on in my life lately.
You would think that because I finally have time to work on the blog, I would be able to write more posts and just work on the blog. But, the truth is, I’ve been stuck. I don’t know why, but I just can’t seem to get a good post idea. Back-to-school is supposed to peak time for my blog as a college blogger, but I can barely think of anything relevant to publish. I don’t know if it’s because I’m not back to school yet (my semester abroad starts on September 25) or something else, but I just can’t seem to write anything about college or going back to school. I feel like I’ve written everything that I could about college life (which is totally not the case because there are so many topics that I haven’t touched!).
… Which brings me to something that has been on my mind lately. It hit me recently that I’m now a college senior and that in exactly a year (a little bit less than that, actually), I’ll be a college graduate. Just thinking about it kind of makes me freak out a little bit. And that also made me realize that once I’m out of college, I might not want to write about college-related topics once I graduate. I mean, I probably will write a college post every once in a while, but it probably won’t be my main focus anymore. This whole thing made me go into a blogging crisis: what am I going to do with this blog? My initial purpose was for this blog to be a travel blog, but what if I don’t get to travel all that much in my post-grad life? Of course, there’s always the idea of being a lifestyle blogger, but even lifestyle bloggers have some sort of focus, or at least, a clear mission statement or a reason for blogging. So this year, this blog is probably going to be in transition mode. I’m not exactly sure what I want it to be, so I might be trying new things to see where I fit in. I’m thinking maybe travel, books, and lifestyle, but who knows?
Anyways, here are a few other highlights that I wanted to share with you to keep you up to date with my blogging situation:
- August was my best month EVER in terms of pageviews! I got over 25k pageviews, which is a big deal for me. Let’s hope it keeps on growing!
- I created a resources library! Sign up to my newsletter here to get the password (current email subscribers have already been sent the password in this month’s email).
- I’ve given up on Instagram. I’m still posting every once in a while (when I have something to post), but I’m not longer making it my priority. This algorithm is killing me.
- I’m SO close to 1,000 followers on Twitter! Make sure you follow me if you aren’t already. I plan on launching a giveaway there once I hit the 1K mark!
One thing that I did do right during my weeks off is read a lot of books! I’m currently at 39 books on my Goodreads challenge, and I read a grand total of 7 books in the past 3 weeks! (including two rereads of two of my favorite books) I’m one book behind on my challenge, so I’m trying to catch up before I leave for England. I’ve been wanting to buy more books lately, but I’m trying not to buy any as I’m leavingsoon and can’t bring a physical book with me. I’m also more active on Goodreads and review almost every book that I read, so make sure to follow me there if you want to know what I’m reading! So here’s what I’ve read:
- Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour by Morgan Matson (reread): 5/5 stars – read my review here
- The Last Boy and Girl in the World by Siobhan Vivian: 3/5 stars – read my review here
- Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between by Jennifer E. Smith: 4/5 stars – read my review here
- Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli (reread): 5/5 stars – read my review here
- Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett: 4/5 stars – read my review here
- Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson: 4/5 stars – read my review here
- P.S. I Like You by Kasie West: 4/5 stars – read my review here
And, in case you’re wondering, I’m currently reading The Rose and the Dagger by Renee Ahdieh. This is the sequel to one of my favorites books, The Wrath & the Dawn, and I’m super excited to get into it!
Study abroad preparation
So, if you’ve been following me online at all, by now you know that I’m going to study abroad in England this semester. I even wrote an entire post about my preparation steps. And now, as my departure date is 12 days away (!!!!!), I’m kind of freaking out. I’m afraid I will forget to do something or that I will forget to bring something super important or that I won’t be able to get my short term study visa at the airport like everyone told me to do. But I’m trying not to focus on that too much and just BREATHE. If any of you have ever studied abroad (bonus points if it was in the UK!), how did you overcame the fear before leaving? Don’t get me wrong, I’m super excited, but I’m also terrified. So let’s just hope that everything will be alright. I’m sure they will be, but I have a tendency to freak out before important things.
I intend on writing another full post about where I’m at in my preparation before my departure, but here are a few updates:
- I opened my bank account and applied for a new credit card. I’m waiting for the card to arrive by mail.
- I found a suitcase! It looks similar to this one, but it’s light blue.
- I’m waiting for my financial statement from my bank, but I should get it in the mail shortly.
- I’ve also started to buy things and clothes for my semester abroad. I don’t have much left to buy, but I do hope I can find some cute waterproof boots and maybe a pair of jeans and a few more t-shirts before I leave!
I wasn’t sure each of the following points deserved their own section, so I just decided to regroup them.
- As I mentioned, I’m not a college senior and I’m sort of freaking out about the fact that I’m going to be a graduate in less than a year and that I have no idea whatsoever of what I want to do with my life after graduation. I know I have time to figure things out, but I need to start thinking about it so I’m prepared!
- I started working at the library again. I was on a little hiatus because of my internship and the fact that I was living on Montreal South Shore for the past seven months (which is kind of a long way from where I am from), but since I’m back, I’ve decided to take on a few extra shifts before I leave. I might as well make some money while I’m waiting!
- My summer vacation has not been as fun as I hoped it would be. I had hoped that it would be productive and that I would be quite the busy bee, but it ended up being the opposite. At first, we did a lot of activities, like hiking, going to a wedding, seeing Le Cirque du Soleil, going on a small cruise on Saint Lawrence river, walking around Magog, etc., but my mom injured herself while we were hiking and ended up not being able to walk for a few days. That cut off our fun. After that, it’s been more Netflix and reading. And now, my mother has gone back to work, and my dad is probably going back soon too (I’m not sure if he’s taking another week or not). So I’ve been filling my time with Netflix and books, and now I’m adding something that is actually productive (aka work at the library).
- I’m currently bingeing How I Met Your Mother on Netflix. One of my best friends urged me to watch it and I finally caved in. At first, I wasn’t really enjoying it. I started watching the show right after I rewatched Friends and it felt like a rip-off. But eventually, I became obsessed. It’s been a month since I’ve started watching and I’m already on season 7 so… you get the idea.
What has been going on in your life lately?